Panmure House is a substantial stone building near Cannongate Church. It is a few yards from Cannongate down Munro Close.
Panmure House was built and later occupied by the 4th Earl of Panmure in 1690.
Later, Panmure House was the residence of Adam Smith (1723-1790), the Scottish philosopher and economist. He is best known as the author of An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth Of Nations (1776). In 1777 he accepted the role of Commissioner of Customs and the Salt Duties in Edinburgh at an annual salary of £600 a year. Two years later, Smith moved into Panmure House, living here with his mother, a cousin and his nephew. Smith died in Panmure House in 1790.
John Geddes (III) and his wife Margaret Duncan lived in Panmure House from 1805 until Margaret's death in 1821.
Panmure House has suffered years of neglect. It is now being restored and conserved by Edinburgh Business School.
The Panmure House project by Edinburgh Business School
Historic Scotland description of Panmure House
© Jo Edkins 2014 - Return to Geddes index