27th regiment in the Indian Mutiny

This extract is taken from "The historic record of the 27th Inniskilling regiment: from the period of its institution as a volunteer corps till the present time" by W. Copeland Trimble, 1876. The full text may be accessed here.

Both John Geddes (IV) and Andrew David Geddes served with this regiment. This extract mention them. I have high-lighted their names. Andrew David Geddes is one of the subscribers to the book.

This extract describes the regiment's time in India during the Mutiny. Andrew David Geddes is mentioned a couple of times. His career with the regiment continued after this book was written. See his career. Another extract covers 27th regiment in the Peninsular War. There is also an account (not in the same book) of 27th regiment travelling to Hong Kong

John Geddes (IV) was colonel of the regiment while Andrew David Geddes was in India with the regiment. I wonder if this helped Andrew's career!

page 117


1854. The first division, under the command of Major Tounzel, landed at Calcutta on the 20th September, 1854, and marched to Dum Dum, It embarked at Kossepore, and arrived at Allahabad. The head-quarters division, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Williamson, landed at Calcutta on the 12th October, 1854, and proceeded to Dum Dum the same night. This division embarked at Kossepore on board the river steamer, on the 16th October, and disembarked at Allahabad on the 19th November, 1854. The third division, under the command of Major Dumford, landed at Calcutta on the 26th October, 1854, and likewise proceeded to Dum Dum. It embarked on board the river steamer at Kossepore, and disembarked at Allahabad. The last division not having arrived, these three divisions commenced their march, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Williamson, from Allahabad on the 26th December, 1854, towards Sealkote, the regiment marching through Cawnpore on the 5th January, 1855, Delhi on the 2nd February, Umballah on the 15th, and was inspected on the 16th by General Sir William Gomm, the commander-in-chief, at Mogul-ki-Sera. Passed the Jullimder on the 27th February, 1855, crossed the Sutlej, passed through Umritsur on the 5th March, and arrived at Sealkote on the 14th March, 1855. The regiment was particularly healthy on the march, not having a single casualty.

The fourth division, under the command of Captain Stapylton, was wrecked at Port Elizabeth, Cape of Good Hope, on the 20th September, 1854, as before related. Captain Warren and Assistant-Surgeon Kidd were on board during the wreck, and displayed the greatest coolness and ability during this trying occasion, the other officers having landed the previous day for the purpose of providing provisions for the detachment, and were unable, owing to the heavy gale, to join the ship. Sixty-two men, eleven women, and twenty-six children were drowned, and the whole of the officers' baggage, arms, appointments, etc., and the vessel became a total wreck. The survivors were forwarded to Cape Town on the 13th October, on board her Majesty's steam sloop Hydra, where they arrived on the 16th, and embarked on board the ship Maidstone on the 9th November, 1854, for Calcutta, where they landed on the 9th January, 1855, and were quartered in Fort William until the 13th, when they embarked on board the Kallugunga Fah for Allahabad, which place they reached on the 11th February. The detachment was forwarded in three divisions by Gort bullock train to Kumaul, where they all arrived on the 27th February, and then marched to Sealkote, and joined head-quarters on the 31st March.

The regiment was inspected by Major-General G. E. Gowan on the 18th March, and again on the 7th November, 1855, by the same officer, who presented the following letter :-

"Head-quarters, Sealkote, 10th November, 1866.


"Major-General G. E. Gowan, O.B., commanding the division, having completed the half-yearly inspection of H.M.'s 27th Regiment under your command, has desired me to convey to you his entire satisfaction. The general appearance of the regiment under arms and in barracks, and its high state of discipline, do yourself, the officers, non-commissioned officers, and men of the regiment great credit, and it will afford the Major-General great satisfaction in reporting favourably to army head-quarters.

"I am, etc., C. Prior, Major, Deputy Assistant Adjutant-General, Lahore Division."

1855. Lieutenant-Colonel H. D. Kyle joined and assumed command of the regiment on the 28th November, 1855. A draft consisting of 255 men, 39 women, and 28 children embarked off Gravesend in July, 1855, under the command of Lieutenant G. E. Gresson, and arrived at Kurrachee in November, 1855, and joined head-quarters by detachments as follows:- Lieutenant Gresson, Lieutenant Geddes (now junior major), 1 sergeant, 2 corporals, 184 privates, 34 women, and 21 children, on the 19th February, 1856. Lieutenant W. H. Davis, Ensigns Story and Stafford, 1 sergeant, 63 men, 8 women, and 11 children.

1856. On the 1st April tunics were issued to the corps as new clothing (820), also new pattern dress caps (80). In the month of October, Nos. 5 and 7 Companies were furnished with new pattern accoutrements (double pouch) to replace those lost in the wreck of the ship Charlotte on the 21st September, 1854. On the 18th March, 1856, the corps was again inspected by Major-General G. E. Gowan, C.B., who expressed his entire satisfaction; vide regimental orders of 19th March, 1857 :-

"The Commanding Officer has great satisfaction in making known to the regiment that Major-General Gowan has expressed to him his entire satisfaction with the appearance and movements of the corps on parade, as well as with what has already fallen under his observation in barracks this day, and he will not fail to report favourably thereof to head-quarters."

On the 9th of October, 1856, the regiment lost Brevet-Lieutenant-Colonel G. A. Durnford, who died at Sumla when on leave, and who was deeply regretted by all ranks, having been thirty-one years and nine months in the corps. On the 14th November, 1856, the regiment was inspected at Sealkote by Brigadier F. Brind, C.B., who forwarded the accompanying letter to Lieutenant-Colonel H. D. Kyle, commanding :-

"Sealkote, 4th November, 1856.


"On the occasion of her Majesty's 27th Regiment being paraded for inspection this morning, I find all so good that there is little room to particularize, and I can but regret that yourself and regiment had not the advantage of the discrimination of the General Officer commanding the division; for I make no question that, in addition to the unqualified satisfaction I am enabled to express, much deserving of remark would have attracted his favourable notice.

"2. It appears to me that the field movements were executed with great accuracy and precision, and that the regiimnnt was particularly steady and correct in its marchings, its wheeling either by company or column, and its other changes of position. Distance, that great test of attention and instruction of the commissioned ranks, was correctly preserved throughout, and in all changes and formations the several portions of the regiment, as they successively formed on the alignment, were close and compact, well placed and prepared to act, acquirements of the highest importance when before the enemy.

"3. Adverting to the recent severe sickness and to the drill season having but recently commenced, I did not expect field movements, but in those I viewed there was proof of the attention that has been paid to the instructions received from army head-quarters for keeping up regimental efficiency during the year.

"4. The appearance of the regiment and its performance satisfy me that it is at this time in a high state of efficiency for any service in which it might be employed, and the evident desire on the part of all to contribute to this satisfactory result must be highly gratifying to you, as it was pleasing to the inspecting officer.

"5. I request you will make known my sentiments in such manner as you may judge best.

"I have, etc. (Signed) " F. Brind, C.B., Brigadier commanding Sealkote Brigade.

"To Lieutenant-Colonel H. D. Kyle, commanding 27th Regiment."

The regiment marched out of Sealkote on the 15th November, 1856, en route for Nowshera, which station was reached on the 9th December, 1856.

On the 25th December, 1856, the regiment again marched towards Peshawur, to form part of the force ordered to be present at the interview of the chief commissioner and the Ameer of Cabul, and took part in the grand review before Dost Mahomed on the 31st December, near the Khyber Pass.

Major-General T. Reid, C.B., reviewed the regiment on the 6th January, 1857, and declared himself highly pleased at the steady and soldier-like appearance of the regiment in the marching and in the field movements. The regiment returned to cantonment at Nowshera on the 11th February, 1857.

1857. On the 22nd March a detachment from the regimental depot arrived at head-quarters strength one captain, one lieutenant, one ensign, and 108 men.

I find in a marginal note that those officers were Captain Freer, Lieutenant Simeon, and Ensign Attinwood.

The annual clothing (shell jackets) was issued to the corps on the 1st April, 1857.

On the 7th April, 1857, the regiment was inspected by Major-General T. Reid, C.B., commanding the Peshawur division, vide regimental orders, 9th April, 1857 :- "Lieut.- Colonel Williamson has much pleasure in publishing that he has been commanded by Major-General Eeid, C.B., to communicate to the Inniskilliners 'the great satisfaction it afforded him in witnessing, at his inspection of yesterday, the very clean and soldier-like appearance of the regiment, as well as the steadiness and precision with which they performed the various battalion and light infantry movements.' "


On the 14th May, 1857, intelligence was received of the mutiny of the native army at Meerut, and instructions were issued to hold the regiment in readiness to march, fully equipped for service, to Sheelum to join the moveable column. The corps marched the following day under command of Lieut.-Colonel Kyle, the strength being two field officers, two captains, seven lieutenants, four staff officers, fifty sergeants, forty-one corporals, eighteen drummers, and 817 privates. On arrival at Hussun Abdul on the night of May 18th, orders were received by express from division head-quarters, directing the head-quarters and right wing to return and occupy the fortress of Attock, on the left bank of the Indus, the left wing, under command of Lieutenant-Colonel Williamson, proceeding on to Rawul Pindee. The order was duly carried into effect, each wing reaching its destination. On the 22nd May three companies of the left wing, under command of Captain Warren, made forced marches on elephants and gun carriages from Rawul Pindee to Attock, arriving on the morning of the 24th May, and relieved the right wing and head-quarters of the corps, who (as the 55th Native Infantry had broken into open mutiny at Murdoon and Nowshera, where the soldiers' families and heavy baggage, etc., had been left in charge of Lieutenant Davis) proceeded the same night, under command of Lieutenant-Colonel Kyle, by a forced march to Nowshera, crossing the Indus in boats. Arrangements were immediately made on arrival for despatching the women and children to Rawul Pindee.

On the night of the 27th May the head-quarters and right wing having made a forced march into Peshawur, was brought on the strength of the garrison and quartered in the lines of the 70th Foot, detachments being furnished to the Fort Machison's Post, besides various picquets. On the 6th June, 1857, the regiment furnished three sergeants, one corporal, fifty privates, as volunteers to the Peshawur Light Horse, a local corps raised by General Cotton from volunteers from the queen's troops in the division. On the 8th June the remaining two companies of the left wing marched from Rawul Pindee to Attock, leaving the sick women and children (who had joined from Nowshera) at Rawul Pindee, in charge of Lieutenant Geddes.

On the 15th June the left wing, under command of Lieutenant-Colonel Williamson, marched from Attock to Nowshera, arriving the same night. Two companies (Nos. 7 and 8) were despatched on the 29th June, under command of Captain Langley, to Peshawur, to reinforce the head-quarters. On the 8th July an order was received to move tliree companies (5, 6, and light) from Nowshera to Attock. Lieutenant-Colonel Williamson marched the same evening, and arrived under the walls of the fortress at daybreak on the 19th inst. The heavy baggage and the regimental stores, etc., were left at Nowshera until the end of August, in charge of a guard (thirty-two men).

On the 28th July a detachment, consisting of two sergeants, two corporals, one drummer, and forty-six privates, was ordered into the Ensuzaie country to form part of the column sent under Major Vaughan (5th P.I.) against the village of Naringee, Assistant-Surgeon Kidd accompanied the party, and Captain Barnes commanded the European division, formed of detachments from H.M.'s 70th and 87th Regiments. The village was stormed without casualties amongst the Europeans, and the force rejoined at Peshawur on the 11th August. On the 3rd August the regiment furnished one corporal and twenty-eight privates as volunteers to the 4th Troop, 2nd Brigade Bengal Horse Artillery. Lieutenant H. B. Patton was also attached to the troop.

On the 28th August the regiment was present and took part in the entire destruction of the 51st Native Infantry, which mutinied en masse at Peshawur. The heat was excessive, but all ranks behaved with great steadiness, and officers and men were thanked by the general commanding the division. On the 9th October, 1857, Lieutenant-Colonel Williamson's detachment (5, 6, and light) marched from Attock to join the head-quarters at Peshawur, and joined on the 11th inst.

Lieutenant-Colonel H. D'Arcy Kyle died at Peshawur, on the 11th October, 1857, from fever with dysentery. The decease of this most gallant and inestimable officer, who so fully earned the confidence, love, and esteem of all ranks, was severely felt by the regiment. Lieutenant-Colonel Williamson assumed command of the regiment.

The severe duty, continued exposure, arduous night-work, was so cheerfully and efficiently performed by all ranks, that it called for the highest eulogiums from the major-general commanding. The health of the regiment was, however, much impaired. The corps lost by death during the year 147 men. The regiment returned to Nowshera on the 1st December, 1857.

1858. On the 13th February, 1858, 160 men, with their families, 2 subalterns, 1 assistant-surgeon, under command of Captain Freer, were sent to Rawul Pindee, for change of climate. On the 16th February, 1858, a detachment of recruits joined from England Captain Croker, Lieutenant (now Captain) Caine, Lieutenant Desborough, Ensigns Dixon and Clay, and 35 privates. On the 15th March, 1858, the regiment marched from Nowshera for Umballa. Captain Freer's detachment joined at Kawul Pindee.

On the 16th 700 Enfield rifles had been issued to the corps just before leaving Nowshera. On the 7th April Captain Mitford and Lieutenant Surman, with 54 recruits, joined the regiment at Meanmeer on the line of march. The regiment marched into Umballa on 25th April. On the 16th May 16 recruits joined from England.

The regiment furnished detachments at the hill stations of Kussowlie and Dugshin while quartered at Umballa. The annual clothing (single-breasted tunics) for 1858 received at head-quarters in the month of August, and was fully issued by Ist September.

Colonel Williamson, from ill health, was obliged to return to England, and handed over the command of the corps to Captain B. Thomas (on the 7th August, 1858), being the senior officer present. This officer retained command until 15th April, 1859. The regiment was inspected by Major-General Sir Kobert Garrett, K.C.B., on the 15th October, 1858.


The annual course of musketry instruction, under Lieutenant G. S. White (now Captain White), commenced on the 16th October, and concluded the 1st April, 1858. Fifty-one men qualified themselves as marksmen; No. 2727, Private William Day, No. 2 Company, as the best shot of the battalion. The figure of merit was 29-10. In November 3 sergeants, 1 corporal, 1 drummer, and 45 privates were invalided to England. New pattern belts, with double pouches, were issued to the regiment in February, 1859. Lieutenant-Colonel Stapylton joined from leave on the 15th April, and took over command of the corps. Wicker-work helmets were issued to the regiment in the month of April, 1858.

The regiment was inspected by Lord Clyde, the commander-in-chief, on the 25th April, 1858. His Excellency expressed himself much pleased with the steadiness of the men under arms and the general discipline of the corps. 219 recruits joined from the depot since May, 1858; also Ensign Cobbe, who arrived December 26th, 1858.

1869. The regiment was again inspected by Lord Clyde, the commander-in-chief, on the 9th October, 1859. On the 14th November 2 sergeants, 3 corporals, and 37 privates were invalided to England, and 38 privates and 1 corporal obtained free discharges.

On the 17th November Ensigns Hamilton and Tottenham joined from England. Lieutenant Campbell died en route to join from the regimental depot. The annual clothing was issued on the 1st September, 1859, serge tunics being served out instead of jackets. Qn the 17th November the regiment was inspected by Major-General Sir E. Garrett. Lieutenant-Colonel K. S. Baumgartner, C.B., was appointed to the regiment on the 22nd July, 1859, and joined and assumed command at Umballa on the 20th April, 1860.

At the course of musketry Private Andrew McDonnell qualified himself as the best shot of the battalion. Major-General Sir K. Garrett, C.B., inspected the regiment on 2nd November. He "approved of their general good conduct," and said their appearance was that "of a very clean and fine body of men, steady under arms, and very close and compact in their movements, particularly in their advance in line."

1860-61. The regiment marched from Umballa on the 10th November for Morar Gwalior, and arrived on the 16th December, 1860. With the draft of 135 men from the regimental depot, which arrived on the 21st January, 1861, came Ensign (now Captain) Herring. The regiment was inspected by Brigadier J. Welchman, C.B., on the 20th March, 1861, at Gwalior.

The regiment suffered severely from cholera during the months of July, August, and September, 1861, whilst quartered at Gwalior. The deaths resulting from this epidemic amounted to 193, besides two officers. The establishment of the 27th Inniskillings was reduced by War-Office letter to a total of 1079.

The regiment marched from Gwalior on 26th December, 1861, for Gondah in Oude. On arriyal at Lucknow on 16th January, 1862, the battalion was halted, was inspected the 20th January by Brigadier-General Kenny, C.B., commanding the Oude division, continued its march on the 26th January, and arrived at Gondah on the 1st February. The regiment was inspected by Major-General MacDuff, C.B., commanding Oude division, on the 15th April, 1862, and again on the 12th January, 1863. The regiment was inspected at Gondah on 14th February, 1863, by his Excellency General Sir Hugh Kose, G.C.B, commander-in-chief in India, who expressed himseK much pleased with the appearance of the regiment.

The regiment marched from Gondah for Dinapore on the 2nd November, 1863, and arrived at the latter place on the 11th December, 1863. Major-General Sir S. Corbett, K.C.B., inspected the regiment on the 22nd December, 1863, and the 16th March, 1864.

Ensign Stainforth (now lieutenant) joined from England on the 4th June, 1864.

On the 28th April, 1864, at Edinburgh, died Lieutenant-General John Geddes, K.H., colonel of the 27th Inniskillings. This officer served 20 years in the regiment, and was present at the battles of the Nivelle, the Nive, Orthes, Toulouse, at which last he received a severe wound which broke his left thigh-bone.

[General Geddes was uncle to the present junior major of the 27th.]

Major-General J. M. Crawfurd was appointed colonel of the regiment. Ensign (now Captain) White joined the regimental head-quarters in the month of September, 1864. Brigadier-General Colin Troup inspected and complimented the battalion on November 22nd, 1864; and on January 16th, 1865, Lieutenant-General Sir Hugh Rose published the following remarks upon his inspection on that day :- "The Lieutenant-General has much gratification in communicating his unqualified approbation of everything connected with the interior economy of the Inniskillings"

In the beginning of March, 1865, the 20th Regiment relieved the Inniskillings at Dinapore, and the regiment was ordered to march to Hazareebagh, detaching two companies to Berhampore to relieve two companies of the 55th Regiment, in command of Major Freer. Lieutenant Geddes was one of the officers of this party.

The regiment arrived at its destination on Saturday, 25th March, 1865, and on the 7th April, 1865, the regiment was inspected by Major-General Sir S. Corbett, K.C.B. The annuual course of musketry for 1865-66 was concluded on the 12th May, 1865, under Ensign White, M.I. On the 18th August Colonel Baumgartner left for England on sick leave, and resumed command on the 22nd March, 1866. The regiment was inspected by General Welchman on the 5th April, 1866, and again on the 9th November.

On the 27th December, 1867, the regiment marched from Hazareebagh, en route for Dum Dum, and arrived on 13th January, 1867. On the 1st October, 1867, the head-quarters and detachments of Barrackpoor and Berhampore moved into Fort William, Calcutta.

On the 13th November the regiment embarked at Calcutta on board H.M.S. Euphrates for Suez. It arrived on the 5th December, but remained on board the troop-ship until the 20th December, on which date the disembarkation took place. The regiment proceeded thence by rail to Alexandria, arriving at the latter place on the 27th of December, at about four p.m. The sea being considered too rough to proceed with the re-embarkation, the officers and men remained for the night in the railway carriages, and embarked on board H.M.S. Crocodile at seven a.m. next morning.


1864. On the 13th January, the 27th Inniskillings, under command of Major Baumgartner, C.B., landed at Portsmouth, and proceeded thence by rail to Dover, where the depot of the regiment was stationed at the time. On arriving at Dover the regiment was ordered to occupy the Citadel Barracks on the western heights. On the 15th January the regiment was inspected by Major-General Ellice, C.B. On the 17th January the service and depot companies were amalgamated and formed into ten companies. On 2nd June the regiment was inspected by Colonel Kirkland, 2nd Battalion 5th Fusiliers, commanding the garrison. On the 15th June the regiment, under command of Major E. Freer, was inspected by Major-General Ellice, C.B., com- manding South-eastern Division, who expressed himself entirely satisfied with the appearance of the corps.

On the 22nd June the left wing of the regiment, under command of Major Murphy, proceeded to Shorncliffe Camp, and were quartered in B lines. On 23rd June the regiment furnished a part of 126 rank and file, for employment on the works at Castle Hill Fort, Dover. On 8th October the regiment, under command of Major Freer, was inspected by Major-General Eussell, C.B., commanding South-eastern Division. The general expressed himself well satisfied with the appearance of the corps on parade, and also with the interior economy. On 16th October the detached companies of the regiment rejoined the head-quarters from Shorncliffe Camp and Castle Hill Fort, On 7th November the regiment furnished two companies to Isle of Grain Fort, under command of Brevet-Major O'Donnell; one company to Tilbury Fort, under command of Captain Cowell; and one Upnor Castle, under command of Lieutenant Brownrigg.

The remaining companies and head-quarters of the regiment, under command of Colonel Baumgartner, C.B., moved to Chatham from Dover, and were quartered in St. Mary's barracks on the 10th November. On the 19th November the head-quarters companies of the regiment were inspected by Major-General Freeman Murray on the Chatham lines. The general was satisfied with the appearance of the regiment.

1869. On the 14th May, 1869, the head-quarters companies were inspected by Major-General Freeman Murray, who expressed himself pleased with the appearance of the men on parade, and the extremely clean state of the barrack-rooms. On the 21st May the detached companies rejoined head-quarters at Chatham. On the 13th July 205 Mutiny medals were issued to the officers and men.


I need scarcely observe that no person was more fitting to make the presentation than the Countess of Enniskillen, nor could it have been made in more graceful terms. The Earl of Enniskillen, mindful of the traditional memories of his house, has ever manifested the greatest interest in the county regiment, and it was meet that the wife of the representative of a family who assisted at the regiment's institution (and whose uncle was a colonel of it) and lord of the soil of the town from which it takes its name, should have the honour of presenting the new colours.

On the 19th July, 1869, the regiment paraded on the great lines at Chatham (about 500 strong), under command of Lieutenant-Colonel E. Freer, for the presentation of new colours, which was made by the Countess of Enniskillen. On this occasion the men appeared in the new pattern clothing of bright scarlet colour. Due honours having been paid to the old colours, Major-General Freeman Murray, the Earl and Countess of Enniskillen, staff, and spectators advanced to the saluting flag, the regiment forming three sides of a square. The new colours were placed leaning against a pile of drums in the centre. The Eev. T. J. Coney, M.A., chaplain to the forces, performed the religious part of the ceremony.

The Countess of Enniskillen now presented the new colours to Ensign H. Wodehouse and C. W. Hare, these officers kneeling. Her ladyship said she felt deeply the honour conferred upon her in being permitted to present those colours to so distinguished a regiment, closely related, as it was, with a part of the country with which she and hers were connected a regiment which was raised 180 years ago in her husband's native town. She referred to the services of the regiment in many fields during the present century, and in the crowning victory of Waterloo they carried their colours triumphantly to the end. Their services had not been less valuable since, though the actions they had taken part in for the last fifty years were less known to fame. As the older soldiers of the corps had been succeeded by younger ones, so the old colours were to be succeeded by new ones. Her ladyship delivered them to their charge, praying that the Great Ruler would give them strength to bear them boldly, bravely, and steadily, and maintain the high character of the corps in times of peace.

Lieutenant-Colonel Freer thanked her ladyship for the kindness and honour she had done them in presenting these colours. The regiment then marched past, bearing their new colours, and subsequently returned to their quarters in St. Mary's barracks.

page 152

27th Inniskillings

Nominal roll of the officiers of the above corps.

October, 1875

ColonelE. Freer.
MajorH. Cowell.
MajorA. D. Geddes.
CaptainW. Herring.
CaptainH. B. P. Phillipp.
CaptainW. Pott.
CaptainA. Hales.
CaptainW. E. Tredennick.
CaptainD. M. Taylor.
CaptainH. M. Caine.
CaptainJ. M. Kerr.
CaptainF. Coffey.
CaptainE. W. E. White.
CaptainE. W. Brownrigg.
LieutenantJ. W. F. Buxton.
Lieutenantand Instruction MusketryP. Stainforth.
LieutenantF. Barton.
LieutenantW. W. Kettlewell.
Lieutenantand AdjutantH. Wodehouse.
LieutenantC. W. Hare.
LieutenantA. J. Irvine.
LieutenantG. H. Michaelson.
LieutenantA. H. Grant.
Sub-LieutenantJ. C. Bayly.
Sub-LieutenantA. G. M. Bond.
Sub-LieutenantH. S. Tunnard.
Sub-LieutenantJ. A. Bennett.
Sub-LieutenantH. P. Williams.
Sub-LieutenantA. H. Young.
Sub-LieutenantN. A. Bray.
QuatermasterC. Brennan.
Surgeon-MajorA. Morphew.
Uniform of 27th Regiment in 1875

page 153

Succession of Colonel, 27th Regiment,

With Date of Appointment,

Zachariah Tiffin26th June1689
Thomas Whetham29th August1702
Richard Molesworth22nd March1725
Archibald Hamilton29th May1731
Sir W. L. Blakeney, K.B.22nd June1737
Hugh Warburton26th September1761
Sir Eyre Coote, E.B.6th September1771
Eyre, Lord Clarina19th February1773
F. Marquis of Hastings, K.G., G.C.B., G.C.H.23rd May1804
Hon. Sir Galbraith Lowry Cole, G.C.B.16th December1826
Sir John Maclean, K.C.B. 2nd November1842
Sir W. Francis Patrick Napier, K.C.B. 6th February1848
Edward Fleming, C.B.18th September1853
John Geddes, K.H.24th April1860
James Robertson Craufurd29th April1864
Bandal Bumley27th August1870