History of 45 Gwydir Street - formerly the Gwydir Arms

Return to Buildings and houses in Gwydir Street.

James Porter was publican of the Gwydir Arms in 1879 (see Post Office directory ).

Thomas Holder was publican in 1883 (see Kelly's Directory).

James Utteridge was publican in 1892 (see Kelly's Directory) and in 1904 (see Spaldings directory).

George A. Emery was publican in 1913 (see Spaldings directory) and in 1916 (see Kelly's directory).

June Wilson from Canada emailed me in 2005 as follows:

I was born in July 1931 at Number 45 Gwydir St. when it was at that time "The Gwydir Arms" public house. My grandmother Mrs Amelia Newman was the landlady at the time. My father (her son) Cecil Reginald Brown and my mother Dorothy May were living with her at the time of my birth and we stayed there until I was about 2 years old when we moved to Lovell Road. My father was an insurance agent with the Co-operative Society.

Jane and Mike Sandell emailed me in 2011 as follows:

My husband's great-grandfather's brother Edward Ernest Sandell was a "Licensed Victualler" living at 45 Gwydir Street when he died in July 1945. I bet he's somewhere in the VE Day Celebration Photo! We are assuming that he was landlord of the Gwydir Arms, which was located at that address. We didn't know anything about this ancestor until a couple of weeks ago. Edward Ernest Sandell was from a London family. He would have been about three years old when his father died and he was taken into the workhouse sometime shortly afterwards. He was a seven year old 'inmate' of West London District School 1881 ( a children's home which took children from the local workhouses). He was sent into the Royal Navy where he had achieved the rank of Chief Petty Officer by WWI. He received the Good Conduct Medal 1914, the Distinguished Service Medal 1917 and was Mentioned in Despatches 1917. He also received the 1914-1915 Star, British War Medal and British Victory Medal with Bronze Oak Leaf. He must have been a very special person to have overcome the trauma of being taken away from his widowed mother at such a young age and to have survived the hardship of the workhouse to become such a good and brave sailor!

45, Gwydir St

This photo is of Gwydir St, 1920. I think it is 45, Gwydir St, the Gwydir Arms.

"B T" may refer to Bailey and Tebbutt, of the Panton Brewery, Cambridge. This was sold to Greene King in 1925. The Gwydir Arms was a Greene King pub later.

Closed pubs says "The Gwydir Arms was situated at 45 Gwydir Street and is now a private dwelling. This pub was present by 1881 when the publican was James Stimpson.

Pubs History says:
"Residents at this address
1871/Richard Long/Publican/39/Little Wilbraham, Cambridgeshire/Census
1871/Lucy Long/Wife/33/Great Wilbraham, Cambridgeshire/Census
1871/Charlotte Simkins/Niece/11/Great Wilbraham, Cambridgeshire/Census
1871/Timothy Day/Lodger, Pensioner/69/Ireland/Census
1879/James Porter/../../../Kellys Directory
1881/James Stimpson/../../../Spalding’s Directory of Cambridge
1881/James Stimpson/Car Driver (N.D. Coachman)/38/Turington, Norfolk/Census
1881/Elizabeth Stimpson/Wife/34/Norfolk/Census
1881/Alice Stimpson/Daughter/12/Norfolk/Census
1881/Annie (Levi) Stimpson/Daughter/8/Norfolk/Census
1881/Louie Stimpson/Daughter/4/Norfolk/Census
1881/Lizzie Stimpson/Daughter/4 months/Cambridge/Census
1881/Fredk Kettle/Lodger, Stonemason/22/Snitford, Norfolk/Census
1883/Thomas Holder/../../../Kellys Directory
1888/Thomas Holder/../../../Kellys Directory
1892/James Utteridge/../../../Kellys Directory
1896/James Utteridge/../../../Kellys Directory
1904/Jas Utteridge/../../../Kellys Directory
1913/George A Emery/../../../Spalding Directory
1916/G A Emery Maltpress/../../../Kellys Directory
1931/Mrs Amelia Newman/../../../per: Gwydir Street Website
1933/Mrs Amelia Newman/../../../Kelly’s Directory"

From Capturing Cambridge:


1871: Gwydir Arms
Richard Long, 39, publican, b Little Wilbraham
Lucy, 33, b Great Wilbraham
Charlotte Simkins, niece, 11, b Great Wilbraham
Timothy Day, lodger, 69, pensioner, b Ireland

1879: James Porter publican

1881: Gwydir Arms
James Simpson, head, 38, car driver, b Norfolk
Elizabeth, wife, 34, b Norfolk
Alice, daughter, 12, scholar, b Norfolk
Annie, daughter, 8, scholar, b Norfolk
Louie, daughter, 4, scholar, b Norfolk
Lizzie, daughter, 4 mos, b Cambridge
Frederick Kettle, lodger, 22, stonemason, b Norfolk

1883: Thomas Holder publican

1891: Gwydir Arms
James Utteridge, head, 63, publican coal merchant, b Cambridge
Eliza, wife, 55, b Cambridge
Arthur, son, 16, b Cambridge
Ethel, son, 15, b Cambridge
Mabel Hill, visitor, 14, b Cambridge

James Utteridge, 73, publican, b Cambridge
Eliza, 66, b Cambridge
Arthur, 26, compositor, b Cambridge
Walter Chant, lodger, 26, compositor, b Somerset

CDN 14.10.1904
: Midnight Raid Sequel. William Hunt (15) labourer of East road summoned for doing wilful damage to window in Gwydir-street on October 9th to value of 12s 6d – James Utteridge, Gwydir Arms, Gwydir-street, licensed victualler stated that on the day in question his window was broken but who did it he did not know. The window had cost 12s 6d be repaired. On Wednesday evening defendant came to him said about 40 of them were going to subscribe to pay for it. Edward Coote, 113 East-road, errand boy on October 9th he was in Gwydir-street about 1 am when he saw defendant pick up some stones off the road and throw them at some doors. Witness heard a smash of glass and then defendant and other boys ran away. Alfred Kelly, 63, Fitzroy-street said he was in Gwydir-street on the 9th when he saw defendant throw some stones at one of the boys and another at the door of the public-house. Immediately afterwards defendant and the other boys ran away. Defendant on oath stated about 12.45 am they were coming down Gwydir-street They had been to the Salvation Army. Dr Cooper: What had you been doing there? Witness: We been listening. Cooper : Listening to what? Witness: The Army. Dr Cooper: What was the Army doing? Witness : Playing. Dr Cooper: Playing what? Hymns? Witness: Yes. Cooper: Were you singing hymns. Witness: Well we were helping to. Defendant, continuing, said they had been chased down Gwydir-street by a policeman. When he left them they commenced throwing stones. P.S. White said Kelly had paid for window he had broken in Gwydir street the same night and another had been smashed in Burleigh-street. Defendant was fined 1s and 13s 6d damage, Dr Cooper remarking would have to induce the other boys who were with him to help pay for the window.

CIP 6.11.1908
: UNSATISFACTORY EVIDENCE. CHARGE AGAINST CAMBRIDGE PUBLICAN DISMISSED. Some conflicting evidence was given in a case at the Cambridge Borough Police Court, in which Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Maltpress, the licensee of the Gwydir Arms, Gwydir-street, was summoned for permitting drunkenness on her licensed premises, and for selling intoxicating liquor to a drunken person. The case first came before the Court on Friday, when the Mayor (H. G. Whibley, Esq.) andE. C. Young, Esq., were on the Bench. The summons for permitting drunkenness was first gone into, the Town Clerk (Mr. J. E. L. Whitehead) prosecuting, and Mr. S. J. Miller defending.

Milton John Rockett, painter, of 4, Suncourt, Newmarket-road, slated that on Saturday, October 24th, he went to the "Gwydir Arms" about seven in the evening, and left about eleven. He was sober when he went in, having had only one glass of beer earlier in the day at a house in Newmarket-road. Previous to that he had kept away from drink for twelve months. His brother Alfred went with him to the "Gwydir Arms," and they played skittles and cards with the defendant and her son. They played for drinks, and he thought he had about seven pints—beer and stout. He was drunk when he left the house. On leaving the house, he went to his brother-in-law’s place, but his sister-in-law pushed him out. A crowd assembled, and he was taken into custody by the police, and was convicted on the following day of being drunk and disorderly.

In cross-examination witness said that he was quite sure that he was in the "Gwydir Arms" the whole evening. His brother was not as drunk as witness.

Mr Miller handed witness a statement, and witness agreed that the signature appended to it was his brother’s, but he maintained that it was untrue for his brother to say they did not go in the house until after ten. While witness was in the house, he paid for some drink, but won most of it by playing skittles.

Re-examined by Mr. Whitehead, witness said he paid for the bottle of stout produced in Court, which he gave to his brother at their sister-in-law’s. The landlady’s son served witness with the stout.

Supt. Hargreaves stated that he visited the public house on Sunday, October 25th, and saw defendant and her son. He cautioned them, and asked whether they knew the two brothers Rockett, who were arrested on Saturday night. Defendant said, "No, I might know them by sight, but I don’t know them by name." Witness asked Mrs Maltpress if she remembered anyone playing dominoes the previous night, and she replied in the affirmative, giving the names of two customers who played, while her son also said he played. The defendant also added that there was a game of cards played about 9.30, and three or four playing skittles. Asked whether the men were playing for beer, she said, "They did not play for beer ; I don’t expect." Witness produced a bottle found in Alfred Rockett’s pocket, and defendant said it looked like one of her’s, but she did not lend one to anybody to her knowledge the previous ‘ night. The son said that he served a pint of stout in the bottle about twenty minutes to eleven. He did not know who it was he served, but he thought that the man was sober enough to be supplied. The son admitted that he was not in the bar all the evening.

Replying to Mr. Miller, witness said that defendant told him that there was no one drunk on the premises on the Saturday evening.

P.c. Wright was also called to prove that Milton Rockett was convicted of drunkenness and Alfred for assaulting the police. Alfred Rockett was sober.

Mr. Miller, in addressing the Bench for the defendant, pointed out that the police had called a man who was drunk, and not his sober brother, from whom he (Mr. Miller) had a written statement.

The defendant then gave evidence, and said that she had been in the trade for 25 years, and, with her late husband, formerly kept a house at Ely. She well remembered Milton Rockett going into the bar of her house with his brother about a quarter past ten on the Saturday night in question. She knew Alfred Rockett, but not Milton. The men seemed all right, and stood against the counter, leaving the house about quarter to eleven. She did not notice whether they took anything with them, but the bottle of stout stood by the side of Alfred Rockett. She was in the bar that evening from half-past seven until nine, and she believed her and her son played cards, but the Rocketts did not enter during that time, and it was incorrect of Milton Rockett to say that skittles were played.

Cross-examined by Mr. Whitehead, witness said that she was certain that Milton Rockett did not enter the house before 10.15, and she was not aware that the brother was there at any other time of the evening. She denied playing skittles with Milton Rockett. She was in and out of the bar all the evening, and would have seen the men if they had been in previously.

At this stage Mr. Whitehead said he had no objection to having Alfred Rocket called if his friend desired it, and the case was adjourned for this purpose until Monday.

When the case was resumed on Monday there were present on the Bench the Mayor (H. Whibley, Esq.), the ex-Mayor (G. Stace, Esq.), A. S. Campkln, G. Smith, H. M. Taylor, and E. C. Young, Esqs.

A statement made by Alfred Rockett to Mr. S.J. Peters, clerk to Mr. Miller, on October, 30th, and handed up to the Bench on Saturday was read. It was as follows "I did not go into the Gwydir Arms with my brother on Saturday until after 10 o’clock in the evening, and only had one pint of stout there, and a pint of stout in the bottle, for both of which I paid. My brother did not order or pay for any drink in the Gwydir Arms on Saturday last."

There was some discussion as to the mode of Mr. Miller arguing that Alfred Rockett should be called before the case was carried any further but the Bench decided that Mr Miller should first conclude his case. As there were magistrates on the Bench who were not present on Saturday, Mr. Miller asked permission to address them, and his application was acceded to.

Mr Miller, in his address, urged that the story Milton Rockett had told about going into the house at seven o’clock, and staying there till quarter to eleven, was a tissue of lies. It was peculiar failing of the Rockett’s when they got into trouble to put it on to the publican, apparently with the idea that they would not be punished so severely. In another case this year Alfred Rockett told a story regarding playing skittles with the landlord of licensed premises similar to the story Milton Rockett had told in this case.

Mrs. Annie Cordwell, the wife of butcher, who has a couple of rooms at the Gwydir Arms, was then called, and said she sat near the fire in the public bar from five and twenty minutes to eight until half-past nine on the night in question, and Mrs. Maltpress and her son were also there. During that time neither Milton nor Alfred Rockett came into the bar and she saw no games of skittles or dominoes played.

Mr. Miller: Was there a game of cards played?

Witness: No.

Mr. Miller: I don’t mean with a customer.

Witness : Yes, between Mrs. Maltpress and her son there was, but not with a customer.

Was there any customer at all who sat down to play any game whatever while you were in the bar ?—No, sir.

Wm. Cundell, dairyman, of 43, Gwydir street, stated that when he went into the Gwydir Arms about half-past nine on the night in question neither of the Rocketts were there. They came in soon after ten and went to the front of the counter, against which they stood. Witness noticed nothing wrong with either of the men. Alfred Rockett called for a pint of stout, and Mrs. Maltpress’s son served him, Alfred paying. The same man also called for and paid for a pint of stout in a bottle, which he took away when the two Rocketts left the bouse. The men were quiet while they were in the bouse and when they left, and neither of them appeared to be intoxicated. Witness went indoors about five minutes to eleven, and heard no row in Gwydir-street that night. While he was in the Gwydir Arms no games of cards, skittles, or dominoes were played by the Rocketts. Witness had a game of dominoes with two other men and the landlady’s son.

In answer to the Town Clerk, witness said that he had had several conversations with Mrs. Maltpress as to what happened on the night in question.

The Town Clerk : So you had it fairly in your mind as to the times these men came in, and so on ?

Witness: Fairly well set. (Laughter.)

Further questioned, witness insisted that the men were sober, if not perfectly sober, when they left the house at ten minutes to eleven, in spite of the fact that one of them was arrested at ten minutes past for being drunk. Asked whether it was not a surprise to him, witness replied in the negative, adding naively that some people go out and make themselves drunk.

The Town Clerk : Do you mean to suggest that this man was pretending he was drunk.

Witness: I don’t say anything about it. This young man sets here now, and he looks just as simple he did then. (Laughter).

Ralph Archer, fruiterer and greengrocer, of 32 Gwydir-street, stated that when he went into the "Gwydir Arms" for his supper beer on the night in question the clock in the bar gave the time as 10 minutes to 11. The two Rocketts were standing near the counter, and witness noticed nothing wrong with either of them. While he was in Mrs. Maltpress’s house—a matter of five minutes — he saw no games being played. In cross-examination, witness declared that in spite of the fact that Milton Rockett was arrested for being drunk a quarter-of-an-hour after he left him, he was satisfied that the man was perfectly sober.

John Wm. Wallis, tobacconist and grocer, of 47, Gwydir-street, stated that he went into the bar of the Gwydir Arms about half-past eight, and again just after ten on the night in question, and on neither occasion were the Rocketts in there. Witness saw Alfred Rockett as he came out on the second occasion, when he stopped about twenty minutes, but he did not notice Milton Rockett.

James Maltpress, aged 17, the son of the defendant, also gave evidence, and said he was certain neither of the Rocketts were in the house before twenty minutes past ten on the night in question. The only drink they had was served to Alfred, who paid.

Alfred Rockett, painter, of Newmarket-road, was then called and examined by the Town Clerk, who elicited that the witness made a statement on the 25th October in the presence of Superintendent Hargreaves and a constable. Witness said be was quite sober when he went to the Gwydir Arms, and was sober when he left. It was ten o’clock when he and his brother went to the public house, and he ordered a pint of half and half. Defendant’s son served the drink, for which witness paid, sharing it with his brother. They had another pint of stout and also a pint in a bottle. He did not remember signing a statement that he returned to the house and stood outside while his brother got more drink. His brother started a game of dominoes with the landlady’s son, but they did not finish it as his brother did not know how to play, and threw the dominoes up. They were in the house about forty minutes, and if he told the police he was there two hours it was a mistake. The landlady and her son played skittles. The son left some whisky on the counter, and Milton put it in his beer, and that was what made him bad.

In answer to Mr. Miller, witness said that his brother’s statement that they were in the Gwydir Arms from seven till closing time was untrue, as also was his statement with regard to the playing of skittles and cards. At this stage the Bench held a consultation, and eventually the Mayor announced that they had decided they could not convict on the evidence of the Rocketts, which was most unsatisfactory. The summons was accordingly dismissed, and the other summons, relating to serving drunken person, was withdrawn on the application of the Town Clerk, who said he thought the Bench would agree that the police were quite right in instituting the proceedings, as the statements made by the two men in the first instances were absolutely clear.

George Smith, 65, publican, b Essex
Emma Smith, 63, b Suffolk

1913 & 1916: Gwydir Arms
George A Emery

CIP 28.2.1913
: William Smith of 45 Gwydir Street, a baker employed by Mr Bradford of Rose Crescent, said he saw Harry Connor (18) and William Jackson (19), both from London, steal bread off his van worth 7 1/4d. Prisoners remanded for 7 days.

CIP 30.4.1915
: Roll of Honour. Enlisted in Second Army: George Arthur Emery (37), 45 Gwydir Street.

1931: Gwydir Arms
Amelia Newman, landlady
Cecil Reginald Brown (son), insurance agent with Co-Op
Dorothy May (daughter in law)
June Brown, granddaughter b 1931

1937: Gwydir Arms
Mrs Amelia Newman

Edward E Sandell, licensed victualler, b 1873
Maud, b 1885
Masie E Gillingham, b 1919, box office cashier

Edward Ernest Sandell, licensed victualler

Edward served in the RN in WWI. He became a Chief Petty Officer, was awarded the DSM in 1917 and was mentioned in despatches. According to the RN register of Seaman’s Services he first served on HMS Impregnable in 1890. He was born in Paddington in 1874 and when enlisted was a baker and confectioner. During World War I he served on HMS Dido.

HMS Dido
HMS Dido WWI (Wikipedia)
See above.

D Newman

D Newman

What is looks like today:

103 Gwydir St

Main index - Buildings and houses in Gwydir Street.