index

History of 167 Gwydir Street (Bahia Cottage)

See History of Gwydir Street and Buildings in Gwydir Street.



John Kent and Sons, slater and tilers, lived in 167 Gwydir St in 1904 (see Spalding's Directory).

They were still here in 1913 (see Spalding's Directory).

They were still here in 1916 (see Kelly's Directory).

Miss Ruth Kent, dress maker, also lived here in 1913 and 1916.

Short Street Wesleyan Methodist War Memorial lists Albert James Kent, Private 26051, 9th Battalion, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment. Killed in action 3 September 1916. Born and enlisted Cambridge. Formerly 26295, Bedfordshire Regiment. Birth registered in the April to June Quarter 1891 in the Cambridge Registration District. In the 1891 census he was the son of John and Mary A Kent, under the age of 1, born Cambridge, resident Gwydir Street, Cambridge. In the 1901 census he was the son of John and Marianne Kent, aged 10, born Cambridgeshire, resident with his parents at 167 Gwydir Street, Cambridge. In the 1911 census he was the son of John and Mary Anne Kent, aged 20, born Cambridge, a Tailor by trade, resident with his parents at 167 Gwydir Street, Cambridge. No known grave. Commemorated on THIEPVAL MEMORIAL, Somme, France. Pier and Face 11 A.



From Capturing Cambridge:

HISTORY OF 167 GWYDIR STREET

1881:
William Christmas, head, 38, journeyman baker, b Willingham
Mary A, wife, 41, b Cambridge
William, son, 14, b Cambridge
Florence, daughter, 12, scholar, b Cambridge
Alfred, son, 7, scholar, b Cambridge
Frederick, son, 4, scholar, b Cambridge
In 1871, the Christmas family were living at 19 City Road. William and Mary A had married in 1865.
In 2023 DGH sent a note re. Maryann Christmas née Leader. Her mother was born Maryann Hockley and her uncle, Ephraim Hockley, brother was deported to New South Wales from Grantchester.

1891:
Henry Mason, head, 84, retired Inland Revenue Excise officer, b Reach
Elizabeth Wright, housekeeper, 68, b Norfolk

1901:
John Kent, 47, slater
Marianne, 48
Henry C, slater
Herbert E, hair dresser’s assistant
Ruth E, dressmaker’s assistant
Elizabeth H, milliner’s apprentice
William
Albert J

1911:
John Kent, 56, slater tiler, b Herts
Mary Anne, 57, b Herts
Henry Charles, 32, slater and tiler, b Herts
Herbert Edward, 30, hairdresser, b Herts
Ruth Emma, 28, dressmaker, b Cambridge
Elizabeth Harriet, 26, milliner, b Cambridge
William, 21, slater and tiler, b Cambridge
Albert James, 20, tailor, b Cambridge

1913: Bahia Cottage
John Kent and Sons, slaters and tilers
Miss Kent, dressmaker
William Kent

1916:
Albert James Kent, Private 26051, 9th Battalion, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment. Killed in action 3 September 1916. Born and enlisted Cambridge. Formerly 26295, Bedfordshire Regiment. Birth registered in the April to June Quarter 1891 in the Cambridge Registration District. In the 1891 census he was the son of John and Mary A Kent, under the age of 1, born Cambridge, resident Gwydir Street, Cambridge. In the 1901 census he was the son of John and Marianne Kent, aged 10, born Cambridgeshire, resident with his parents at 167 Gwydir Street, Cambridge. In the 1911 census he was the son of John and Mary Anne Kent, aged 20, born Cambridge, a Tailor by trade, resident with his parents at 167 Gwydir Street, Cambridge. No known grave. Commemorated on THIEPVAL MEMORIAL, Somme, France. Pier and Face 11 A.

1930s:
John Kent, slater and tiler, who built 165 Gwydir Street on his retirement.

Herbert Finbow, son of William Robert Finbow who started his business at 52 Gwydir Street.

1962 – 1970:
William A Longhurst


Main index - Buildings and houses in Gwydir Street.